Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I LOVE Convention

No - not because I get away from the kids for 3 days!!! I can still remember my first convention - I must have gone back to the Exhibit Hall over and over again. I was glassy eyed and could barely stand but I just kept walking around and looking! I was a mess - I am sure of it! Last year I kept going back to the used hall - I knew what I was looking for(kindof;at least a little better than my first year) and so I was looking for deals! I have a serious addiciton to buying stuff that is cheap!! This year I am praying HARD that God will keep my addiction in check and that I will not be overcome by the cheapness(not a word - i know) of a book!! Convention for me is a time of pure Joy - I just love to look at all the choices that are out there and all the cool things I cant have but am told I need!!! But it is also a time of great stress - I am overwhelmed by all the people and the stuff! There are so many options for us as Homeschoolers these days. Sometimes I wish it was just the basics as the pioneers of Homeschooling used and we were more focused on God than what curriculum we were going to buy - even if it is a good bible based curriculum! I am torn because I love it - I love the thrill of the hunt, finding that book I really needed(ok wanted) for dirt cheap, looking at all the things other homeschool moms have used that have worked great for them and they are now selling to all of us, all the cool science kits, games and fun stuff and all the BOOKS!!! But the chaos of it is overwhelming at times and definately outweighs the Love of it all!!! But do I stop and say enough...just go back to the room and relax and enjoy the time or go listen to a speaker - there are some awesome ones here...NO I buy the speakers and listen to them throughout the year and head over to the next booth...I might miss something if I leave!!!!
Only 2 more days till convention.........

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you to go and report back. You and I are so alike....I love a good bargain. Cheap and fun!!! Hope you find what you are looking for.
    I was up all night thinking about my choices, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your honesty...and have to smile just a bit at the dilemma you've outlined. It's tough, isn't it? :)

    I've never gotten to go to the BIG convention, but I did go several years to the Northern Virginia one. It's a little smaller, cheaper, less intimidating for newbies (which I totally was at the time...still am a little).

    The big convention always comes right at the time of our anniversary and Josiah's birthday, and I've never made it a priority to carve time out of our schedule to go. But one of these years--hopefully soon--I will! Each year I think, "Surely next year we can make it happen!" :)

    I hope you're having a blast even as I type this! :)

    ReplyDelete